 MediaWatch / 1415
Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 05:32:39 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Miller wrote:
   Dave Schuler orrex@excite.com wrote:
   If “Legos” grates on you the way “nukuler” grates on me, then you have my sympathy! Still, someone can refer to “Fords” or “Toyotas” without causing an uproar, so there is some precedent for pluralized brandnames, however incorrectly it might apply to LEGO.

There’s the exact same technical/legalistic rule against saying “Fords” or “Toyotas” or “Burger Kings” or “Pentiums” or “Dells” or “Dumpsters”. Or “Kleenexes” or “Band-Aids”. Again as the original article pointed out. :)

Well, there are two things a play here... what people(1) *want* to do, and what companies *have* to do if they want to preserve their property.

It is my opinion that The LEGO Company *has* to ask people to use the word “LEGO” as an adjective or else they are at risk of losing their trademark.

I bookmarked this site a long time ago, during one of the previous discussions on this topic.

http://www.ggmark.com/guide.html

See point 2 in particular. See also

http://www.ggmark.com/protect.html

and in particular

‘A mark may be abandoned “unintentionally,” when the trademark owner fails to use it properly, or fails to monitor its use by others. “Improper use” is use which places the mark in danger of becoming generic. Thus, marks should be used consistently, and distinctively, to enhance their source-identifying function.’

So based on that, TLC have to ask people(1) to use it correctly. (that is, as an adjective, and distinguished somehow, for example in all caps) What the people(1) they ask actually DO is a different story, but TLC can’t, in my view, stop asking.

If you like the company, or if you like the capitalist system in general (2), you’ll respect the request. Disrespecting it suggests that you dislike at least one of the two. At least to me it does... YMMV.

It’s just one lawyer’s opinion of course, but it squares with the other research I’ve done into this, including some caselaw I’m not going to cite at the moment. And while I am no expert, I do have a trademark of my own that I’d like to protect(3) so the topic is of some interest.

++Lar

1 - and journalists! Not to say they’re not people.
2 - and with it the notion that it’s legitimate for companies to market, have a brand identity, advertise, care about their image, want to be distinguishable from their competition, etc.
3 - Milton Train Works™, a proud member of the Guild of Bricksmiths™ (4)
4 - Bolding is an acceptable mechanism of highlighting. So is underlining