 MediaWatch / 1400
Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:01:12 GMT

The word "Legos" really grates on me. It's not that lego is like sheep where the
plural is also sheep, it's that lego is like sand: it doesn't have a plural.
"Pass me those legos" is completely ambiguous: do you mean parts, sets, models,
boxes or what? The natural measure of lego is the "heap" (because however
carefully you sort it, it still ends up in a heap when you build) so the natural
thing to say is "Pass me that lego" if you want the lot, or "Pass me that
bit/brick/gear/2x4 plate" if you want a particular piece. There is no such thing
as "one lego".

I know this is a personal view, and many people (especially in the US) disagree,
but no-one in this thread had said it, so I felt I had to. If it means that I
hear or read "legos" once less often it will have achieved something.

Barney.