 General / 53521
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 06:42:26 GMT

Ronald,

I just posted an item about those sets in the Bricklink Forum 2 days ago!!  Deja
Vu!!

Here it is!

Cheers,
Gary Istok

The #518-#521 come in an Architectural Sets (Hobby und Modelbau) of 1963-65
with the clear plastic boxes and the 8x11 gray plates.

The #518-#521 ALSO come in a regular cardboard box version with a Swiss Chalet
House design on one side, and another colorful box design on the back. These
versions of the #518-#521 came in the new (for 1963) cardboard Kliklok
patented box with an opening flap on one end.

For folks who want to see what a #518-#521 spare parts pack with plastic box
look like, here's Clark Stephens website (one of 3 different box designs):

In 1963 the #518-#521 Architectural Plates Packs originally came out in 6
colors: gray, black, clear, blue, white and red. However, by 1965 (their last
year) it appears that they were also produced in yellow. TLG took some of the
#518-#521 outer sleeves for clear bricks, and used an ink stamp to stamp the
area where the plate color is pictured... and stamped it yellow.

Also from 1963-64 they used a different Architectural brochure in the packs (one
that shows the other sets that came in the Architectural series. By 1965 they
were using the colorful brochure that also came with the cardboard #518-#521
sets (as you have pictured).

The cardboard continental European #518-#521 packs did come in all 7 colors.

However in USA/Canada, where the larger Samsonite parts pack boxes were used
(with a larger parts count), the #518-#521 packs came in different colors as in
continental Europe. In USA/Canada they came in red, white, gray, black, clear
and GREEN! Yes green... they were Cellulose Acetate green plates with the
Samsonite LEGO font on the studs. In USA/Canada the Samsonite #518-#521 did not
come in either blue or yellow.