 General / 39019
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:01:27 GMT

Hmm...

This may not be weird or bizzare, but neat and very rare... allow me to explain.

Just as I joined the Lego club, there was an advertisement for the Space
building contest.  I entered but never got a notice of winning the big
prize.  Two years later, during the introduction of the Divers line, Lego
hosted another contest along the same lines, but using a new theme, Sea
Exploration.  I quickly got ot work, I was determined to win.

I was only 12 and my Lego collection was small and mostly built of '93-'95
pirate, the '95 Exploriens space line and 1 - only 1 - diver set.  Though I
was a bit discouraged, not having any themed pieces to use toward the entry,
I pushed on.

Oh my, what a project!  3 weeks of non stop building (well... of course
after school, eating and sleeping) and I had a blast.  One day, I finally
had finished something I liked.  A three story undersea lab.  I looked sadly
upon the demo model in the mania mag and thought to myself, "Is my model
going to stand up to that?"

My model was, as I said above, a three story building.  The first level was
really a sea cave, built using BURPs.  Thank goodness for the amount of grey
I got in the SES ship because my rocks needed some filling in.  A small sub
was stored inside the cave.  To the left of the cave was some brown ladders
which were made into fence to form a the shark corral.  (How the shark
didn't think enough to just swim up is beyond me...)  Built onto the cave
was a research lab.  I used my 5 trans-blue canopies from set 6899
(http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6899) and others to make a neat looking glass
observatory from the lab.  The dorky researcher from the Divers series
occupied this room.  Above, was a small townish, like thing. It had small a
bunker, a mess hall and a tower with a big stun gun - for in the event moby
dick attacked.  The picture was set like this: Diver Dan was waving to the
guy in the lab from outside, while a ray scoots along the sea floor.  Right
now when I look back, the whole model seems corny, but back then it was an
accomplishment beyond all others.  I set it for display on the desk in my room.

2 weeks later and I realized I had frogotten to actually send in the
submission.  I was lucky I remebered that day, because I barely was able to
get my entry in the mail before the contest deadline.  My Mom and Dad,
though upset at my procrastination, supported my entering the contest, and
when Dad went to the post office at 10 pm that night, - after paying for 1
hour photo - I was reminded of loving support for me.  I was very hopeful
that I would win.

Unlike you would think, I came to forget that I ever entered.  I was not
waiting at the mailbox everyday for a reply - though I should have!  Despite
this careless forgetfulness, I was soon reminded about what I had done.

Two months after the day we rushed to the post office, the UPS man stopped
at my house.  TO my surprise, it was for me. I opened to find a second place
prize pack.  Only 100 other entrants won this prize, and 6 others went to
the finals.  I got a copy of the brand new Lego Island game, a signed letter
by some guy at Lego congratulating me, a brand new Lego Divers Deep Sea
Refuge (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6441) and a piece of salvaged Titantic
Coal.  Total package was worth about $150, but to me, it was priceless.

Though the bragging rights were enourmous, at the time my friends still
liked lego too, the best part of it all was that I learned you can truely
build anything with Lego parts - even when you don't have the proper theme
parts. and that hard work does pay off.

So my rare, unique Lego asset, my Deep Sea Challenge 2nd Place Prize pack
and the lessons learned through the process of getting it.

Jeremy

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi, everyone.

  I was going through a few things here at my home in Michigan,
  and I ran across something odd that I'd forgotten about.  It
  got me thinking:  What kind of true oddities that have some
  connection to LEGO--themed items, promotional things, or other
  tie-ins that are bizarre--do people here have?  There are
  easily enough hard-core, longtime collectors from around the
  world here to have some strange items from the early days of
  LEGO as well as some of the newer promotional items.

  To kick this off, I'll share my only slightly odd item: a
  lightsaber handle from the Wal-Mart 1999 (IIRC) "lightsaber
  building" competition.  It's a black plastic "handle" with
  a + shaped set of plates screwed into the top upon which to
  anchor a "blade."  Apparently these were not supposed to be
  released by the stores, being promotional items, but I
  bought a clearance bucket and one was hiding in there.

  What do all of you have?  (John, your 1593 is unusual, but
  it doesn't count.  ;) )

  Eagerly awaiting tales of mystery and intrigue,

  LFB