 General / 39114
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:56:52 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote:

How is that for an odd Lego-related item?

I did something like that myself, a couple of years ago there was a yellow giraf in a
commutetrain advertisement for Legoland - almost the same size the width and length
of set 8860 (which is where I keep them in storage ;)
I waited till everyone got off the train in Hillerød, I then carefully selected the
least bruised ones and picked two, walked out of the train and on the mostly empty
platform I crouched down and stuffed them into my Belsac(tm) shoulder bag.
While I was doing the stuffing part this trainworker in an orange suit told me not to
do that. I told him I knew it was wrong but I simply couldn't help myself as the old
way I got this kind of advertisement stuff for collector/fan use did not work
anymore. He laughed told me he didn't mind personally and asked me what I meant by
the old way - and I told him.
My dad, now retired, worked as the station master of another railway station on the
private railway adjecant to the one we were at, and back when the busses used to make
longer stops at that station the busdrivers would come in and, have a cup of coffee
and chat with my father and of course they had a very good relationship and many of
them got along quite well with the people at the railway stations.
This is the setting in which I asked my father in 1985 to get me one of those 3 meter
long 50cm tall two-part "Ghostbusters" movie advertisements stickers, wanting to put
one on the wall of my room (the part of the wall that was in a 45degree slope and was
useless for anything else). And my dad was the best in world, he got me one, which I
still have in my room at my parents, it is one large sticker with a smaller square
one to make up the entire length of the advertisement about a 1/3 the length of our
busses I guess.
But because the glue would hurt the wallpaper my mother kept me from actually putting
it up, so I still have a mint 1985 giant Ghostbusters bus advertisement sticker. I
told the trainworker that nowadays the busses did not make a stop at the station my
dad worked at, so I could not ask him to get me one, so I had to resort to stealing
one. Or two :)

I guess that is weirder than my weird piece story, but my wierd piece story wasn't
exciting, this one was more exciting.

-breiler