 Gaming / 149
Re: brikwars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 01:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jeff Christner writes:
Opportunity fire slowed things down a bit too, and as before, we
misread this rule and played it incorrectly in the first part of the
game. Its a good idea, although with some of the games I've played in
the past there was opportunity fire in the movement and firing phases.
Keeping track of who fired in the previous phase to see if they are
available for opportunity fire is something that might take some work,
especially in larger battles.

When we have too many guys on the field to keep track of, we're careful to
make sure they always hold their weapons in such a way to indicate whether
they are ready to attack, or whether they have just attacked.  After firing a
ranged weapon, for instance, we move it to point stright up in the air, as if
recoil had knocked it back.  CC weapons are held out to the side, as if at the
end of an attack swing.

There were a few things in regards to vehicles, i.e. turn rates,
acceleration and such, that we might leave out. It seemed, to me
anyway, like too much to keep track of. Charts would have been nice
with all the modifiers and such on a page or two.

Yeah, I usually ignore those too, except for Fliers.  Charts are on the way,
but we'r making so many changes that we're waiting for all the rules and
numbers to stabilize before we draw up the charts.

I'd like to see initiative rolled for the start of each turn.

Do you really think so?  You were playing with Phases, right?  I don't see how
it would apply otherwise.  I'll add a note to review the Phases rules.

played using the optional rule Phases and had some tough times
figuring out charging attacks, like a knight on a horse charging
someone with his lance.

Oh yeah, I guess you did.  A lance attack is treated as a Collision, which is
handled during the Movement Phase.  I'll try to clarify that in the revision.

In addition, before we play next time, we should go over the rules and
determine which ones we aren't using and write them down. This way
there won't be any rules lawyering to slow things down.

That's a good idea, but keep it simple.  The NELUG guys did that before their
April Fool's Day game, you can check out their rulesheet at

http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=130

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm