 Gaming / 138
Re: brikwars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:26:12 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jeff Christner writes:

I think at the next Ohio BrikWars we will most likely be leaving out
some of the rules that slowed down game play. We didn't use fire in
the first game, but hopefully we will for the second game, even though
it can involve quite a few dice rolls.

Which rules did you have problems with?  I remember somebody was complaining
about having to do the NearMiss calculations for every shot - that's one of
the rules that we were specifically thinking of when we were writing the
introduction and said "we heartily encourage you to ignore ninety-nine percent
of the rules ninety-nine percent of the time... fudge everything your
opponents will let you get away with."  I hope you weren't doing NearMisses
for every shot - only when there was another important target close by.  On
the other hand, considering how crowded that battlefield was, I guess it was
pretty much guaranteed that there would always be another potential target
within NearMiss range.

What else slowed you down?  Not that I have any objection to leaving out large
sections of the rules, in fact I think it's a good idea.  But, if you have any
problems I'd like to bring them up when the editing staff reconvenes next week
for the bw2000 html rulebook.

Speaking of the NearMiss rules, they're going back under review in next week's
meeting, so there might be some changes in that area although I couldn't
really predict what kind just yet.  The reason being, we removed the Skill
Penalties for firing at a target that was especially small or was behind
partial cover, because those penalties messed up the nearmiss calculations.
The nearmiss rules were supposed to just naturally make it harder to hit small
targets.  However, we ended up making the nearmiss distances large enough that
it's no easier to hit a minifig out in the open than a minifig behind 90%
cover.  We're going to have to think of a way to reintroduce the Skill Penalty
without screwing up the NearMiss rules or making them too complicated, and I
don't know how we're going to do it yet.

- Mike Rayhawk

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm