 Gaming / 125
  brikwars...

...We (WAMALUG) had our first test brikwars game saturday and I must say it was fun (specially when the big mecha pilot got enraged and swore death at his attackers :-) _BUT_ (there's always a but in these things)... ...I found the weapons a mess to (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) Heh. In our first game a pilot got that, and tried to ram my mech with his speeder bike. It didn't work. :D (...) This can be avoided by writing down all the stats and weapons (and stats of the weapons) when you make your army- then you have (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...BTW: I mean all side by side, not stuck on top of each other... so a MK3 balastik would have 3 1x1 cylinders at the very end side by side (or in whatever configuration the designer wanted). ...you can go back to ignoring me now... wubwub (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) At the recent Ohio BrikWars I myself didn't follow the #of elements per weapon rules, although my SpaceMarines only used Gyro weapons. The one piece "megaphone" was a Gyro Pistol, while the "camera" piece was a Gyro Rifle. (...) This is (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I play a little loose with these rules as well. My standard SpaceMen are equipped with... I think it's Gyro Rifles. Anyway, it's the 4-piece rifle. Well, mine does have 4 peices, but two of those are 1x1 round plates I think the style of the (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) You'll hear more about it in the field reports (one for each side :) ) when we finish them, but it was hilarious! Stephen's side damaged my mech twice, the first time halving my movement (from 11 to five), and the second time was when they (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...I had the rules tables on hand, but short of tacking little cards with each squad, it was still hard to remember who went where. It wasn't too bad looking up weapons on the weapons table, but all those little checks added up quickly :-/ (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I just had a stack of 'em made up for all my different troops and vehicles. Some checking was needed, but not all that much. (...) <gamer geek> Absolutely. Let's assume a SpaceMan is firing at another SpaceMan with penalties and bonuses that (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...lol.... very scary indeed :-) ...you can go back to ignoring me now... wubwub stephen f roberts wamalug guy ((URL) #160 (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) what the (...) Well, the whole 'pieces' thing is just a suggestion, if you have some other way to keep track of which pistol (or any other type of weapon) is which then of course feel free to use it. out the to-hits (...) remember exactly (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) Which rules did you have problems with? I remember somebody was complaining about having to do the NearMiss calculations for every shot - that's one of the rules that we were specifically thinking of when we were writing the introduction and (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

I use two "megaphone" pistol pieces for most of my rifles, you need to stick a 1x1x1 round piece between them so they can fit in both a minifig's hands comfortably though. They look better when the characters are holding them too. Steve (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...The pieces thing is a great idea, conceptually, it makes it easy to tell weapons apart without making them all the exact same... It just didn't work rite in practice... (...) ...I wanted to avoid paper as much as possible, mostly in the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) The organized attack rules might be good for lower Tech Level games, but at higher levels I would think nearly anybody would be able to organize a combined attack. From the upper end of TL4 and higher I'd say that nearly every soldier would (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I think the NearMiss rules slowed us down, as we just about calculated where every near miss went. We also didn't play this rule correctly for the first part of the game. In most wargames I've played I'm used to a miss is a miss. Granted if (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) It's something that takes some getting used to. The important thing is to have a way to tell them apart when you need to, the method isn't really that important. (...) Did you really think so? I'll make a note to put siege weapon ranges up for (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) Well, that's why it's an Optional Rule. (...) Nah, no extra CP's. All communications equipment comes for free. There's no real reason to use Radios if you don't want, I just think it's more fun that way. (...) Well, that's why the (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) When we have too many guys on the field to keep track of, we're careful to make sure they always hold their weapons in such a way to indicate whether they are ready to attack, or whether they have just attacked. After firing a ranged weapon, (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) Even if I were only playing a game with one opponent, I think that I'd like to have some variable to see who moves and attacks first at the start of every game turn. With the most recent group we had of 4 people, two of my allies went, then (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I see what you mean. (...) Shoot, I really did make that kind of unclear. The text in 1.3 is a holdover from the 1996 rules, when all attacks were cumulative not just for each turn, but for whole rounds. We found that was really hard to keep (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...All the troopers would have a helmet comm, but you would still have chain of command and distraction. The average field guy does not want to be distracted with the assorted coordination chatter that would go on at 'command' frequencies, so (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...They are more complex both beforehand and during, but if the player came up with a 'claw arm' during design, he could equip all his vehicles with them so it wouldn't be as complex during the game. that's the kind of idea I was thinkin of. (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) usually the field guys will be on their squad freq, while the squad commander is on both squad freq and command freq... but no one in their right mind will turn off his radio in a battle. Not unless you're looking for a warm place in a body (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) ...:-) I didn't mean theyd turn off their comm, just they'd turn off the command frequency... leave the command frequency to the higher paygrades and all. (...) ...This is more like 'shoot that tank there!!' where all the members of a squad (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) 'sides, usually command traffic is encrypted, which the average trooper won't have the eq to decode... (...) I'm not sure it should count as two attacks... I've seen batteries 20 miles apart shoot at the same target, at the very same second... (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I suppose it depends on exactly how the comm system is set up. I picture individual talk groups for each squad with the capability of squads or larger groups to switch to a common talk group if initiated by a higher authority. That is, one (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

Have you read "Starship Troopers"? Not the craptacular Paul Verhoeven movie, but the Heinlein novel? RAH goes into quite a bit of detail on how his cap troops are in communication with each other; basically the grunts have radios with one channel (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: brikwars...

(...) I read it, but it was many, many years ago. About all I remember is how the power armor worked, movement wise, and the dropships. I think I still have a copy somewhere, but its probably still packed up after moving two years ago. Jeff (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.gaming)