 Gaming / 125
124  |  126
Subject:
brikwars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:40:02 GMT

...We (WAMALUG) had our first test brikwars game saturday and I must say it was fun
(specially when the big mecha pilot got enraged and swore death at his attackers :-)

_BUT_

(there's always a but in these things)...

...I found the weapons a mess to deal with. We were always trying to remember what the
weapons were (2 pieces is impact pistol or gyro pistol?) and then figuring out the to-hits
and ranges and damages for assorted different weapons. And we never could remember exactly
what major guns were on our mecha... and what ranges things shot at were weird and all
over the place...

...The net result is we spent valuable play time looking up things :-/

...Eventually, we just treated all pistol things as gyro pistols and all rifle like things
as impact rifles and just about everything had a UR of 3.

...So anyway, I propose a streamlining of the weapons. It does take some variability from
the game, but replaces it with simplicity to make the games go a bit faster so you can
concentrate on mass killing the opponent!

I propose for SpaceMen they be given 3 just choices of weapon load outs:
1)  pistol and close combat weapon - Pistol has range 10", UR 3, dam 1d6. CCW can only be
used in close combat, UR 3, dam 1d6. In close combat, the fig can use both for 2 attacks!
woohoo!  cost: 3
2)  rifle - 2 handed weapon, range 15" UR 3, dam 1d10. If the fig didn't move, the range
is 20".  cost: 5
3)  Big Gun - 2 handed weapon, range 20" UR 3, dam 3d6 non-explosive OR 1d10 explosive
(selectable at fire time (changing weapon clips)), move -1", cannot be fired if the fig
moved. cost: 8  Troop ratio: 10 non big guns / big gun

...How the gun actually works isn't as important.

...Not sure exactly how to integrate this idea with the idea of TLs :-/ Working on that
one :-)

...For vehicles, I propose simplifying the weapons there too. Rather than list different
weapons, have larger weapons just be increments of a basic weapon. A MKIII laser is just
3x a MKI laser.

...To represent them on the vehicle, a thin antenna piece is a laser barrel, a 1x1
cylinder or cone is a ballistic, and a 2x2 cylinder is a mass driver. The overall weapon
has to have the brick size appropriate for its rating, but at the barrel, just stick as
many barrels as is appropriate for its class. A MK III laser would have 3 thin antenna
like pieces sticking out. A MKII ballistic would have 2 1x1 cylinders at the end of the
barrel. this shouldnt change the aesthetics much, and will make it infinitely easier to
remember...

(for mass drivers and ancient-tech: the catapult bucket should have an area enuf to hold
the equivalent area of 2x2 cylinders (a MKIV trebuchet must have a bucket at least 4x4).

...lastly, squads:

...We had a couple times where we all ganged up to take down things. This isn't such a bad
thing, but doesn't seem right. So how bout squads be identified either by the colour of
the plate they stand on, or a group of the same type figs, etc... Only members of the same
squad can gang up to fire on a single target. Multiple squads can all fire at the same
target, but they cant combine together.

...As a 'penalty' for this advantage, squads have to stay within 10" of each other, no
member of the squad can be more than 10" the farthest squad member from him, if they end
up like that, the fig and the squad must move closer. I would limit squads to no more than
10 figs just to keep this from getting too out of hand.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com