 Color / 588
Re: Universal Color List...finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:49:07 GMT

In lugnet.color, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.color, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.color, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.color, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.color, Paulo Renato wrote: [Snip - quality issues]
Hi Ben, while those stacks look bad, I don't see any stacks of older plates
beside them to compare. I stacked my older bricks and found much variation, I
would be interested to see your findings.

A lot of people say LEGO tolerances have become worse over time, but I have not
seen anyone actually check the tolerance of older bricks, except my limited
investigation here http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2163

I can imagine, that a wild mix of used bricks from 196x till nineties have
different clutch forces and similar tolerance spread as the plates now.

That's fine, but the bricks I used were all from the period 1970-1980, as they
were put away when I began my 20 year dark age in 1981, and I have since always
kept them separate from my new bricks. I actually picked out the bricks that
looked in the best condition.

But if you took only bricks of one colour and type out of one type of set (from
any year within 70ies or 80ies) I am 100% convinced these are better than the
bricks now.

snip

So please take it as a fact: the moulding cycles of the machines actually got
shortened and therefor the production output higher (=cheaper), but of lower
form tolerance.

That may well be the case, but I would still be interested to see someone
actually do the comparison.

ROSCO