 LEGO Company / 2163
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 04:23:31 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mark Bellis wrote:
   I believe that over the years the tolerance has been widened, with the aim of reducing production cost.

OK so I just went to my box of childhood LEGO (circa 1970-80) to check this out. Discounting the CA bricks which have known deterioration problems, I put together 4 stacks of 10 ABS bricks, 2 red and 2 white. I made sure I picked out the “best looking” ones to avoid damaged edges etc which may have had an effect. I noted 2 things:
  1. Several of the bricks had significantly less “clutch power”, though obviously this could also be from deterioration;
  2. The stacks ranged from 95.9 to 96.6 mm. It would be interesting to know if the brick tolerance is +/- 0.1 or 0.3 mm, either way they were all inside it. But there was still significant difference even with these old bricks.
So I would invite others who think the tolerance has widened to do similar tests on older bricks to back up their claim.

ROSCO