 LEGO Company / 2144
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:17:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   I’ve had a number of people ask me about a perceived quality issue lately: If you take a number of plates and create two or more large stacks, they tend to be differing heights. For example, Ben has posted some photos here:

I mentioned that this is a “perceived” quality issue because on the surface it seems to be an obvious quality issue, but in reality, there is nothing out of place. I have checked with our Quality Assurance department for some details and they have passed along some info.

Well, perception is everything. It is a quality issue for people who build with Lego; it is not a quality issue for the Lego Company’s Quality Assurance department.

When you build, the height difference will often be aligned as the elements typically will vary in element height from one end to another. In order to get the maximum deviation all the plates have to turn the same way and they have to be from the same tool. This is not likely.

I perceive this as a problem for a company making parts that supposedly form a compatible system with one another. But it’s ok, that’s just my perception and in reality nothing is out of place.

snip

The tolerances used today are the same as years past.

In the past, I have heard that the tolerance for bricks is .02mm (From Henry Wiencek’s The World of LEGO Toys and other sources). It’s good to get clarification of this mistake. I do hope that TLC will stop bragging about their part tolerances in publications in the future, though.

Hope this helps clear this up. Please know (and remember) that LEGO has always been, and will always be about quality. We have a great team in the Quality group, manufacturing, and Design that works hard to ensure the best parts are being created.

I think TLC has high quality standards considering the intended purpose of the toy. I think it falls short of our standard of quality expectation. But ultimately, I believe this is just one more limitation we have to work with in using Lego as a building medium. And, I think it’s important to understand the limitations of Lego.

Sometimes there are mistakes or problems, but as you all know, those times are rare. And unwelcomed... thus the desire by the entire company to ensure they never happen.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com