 LEGO Company / 2139
2138  |  2140
Subject:
Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:37:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’ve had a number of people ask me about a perceived quality issue lately: If you take a number of plates and create two or more large stacks, they tend to be differing heights. For example, Ben has posted some photos here:

I mentioned that this is a “perceived” quality issue because on the surface it seems to be an obvious quality issue, but in reality, there is nothing out of place. I have checked with our Quality Assurance department for some details and they have passed along some info.

When you build, the height difference will often be aligned as the elements typically will vary in element height from one end to another. In order to get the maximum deviation all the plates have to turn the same way and they have to be from the same tool. This is not likely.

The height measure on our plates is 3.2 +/-0, 1 mm. With a height difference up to 0.2 mm per plate it will be approx. 4.0 mm. If you build 20 plates above each other. On the photo the difference is under 2.0 mm.

Consider that in the official LEGO models, the LEGO designers never use more than three plates in a stack. As a model is built, the elements will equal out and create a solid model regardless of these very very minor tolerance changes (+/- 0.1 mm), creating a very stable model.

The tolerances used today are the same as years past.

Hope this helps clear this up. Please know (and remember) that LEGO has always been, and will always be about quality. We have a great team in the Quality group, manufacturing, and Design that works hard to ensure the best parts are being created.

Sometimes there are mistakes or problems, but as you all know, those times are rare. And unwelcomed... thus the desire by the entire company to ensure they never happen.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison