 LEGO Company / 2151
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 01:21:53 GMT

Thanks for the tip about stacking plate tolerances, Jake.

A related effect occurs with some 1x2 bricks (first obvious to me with sand red). The crack between bricks in a wall depends on which way the 1x2 are pointing. One end of each brick is a little thicker than the other.

Since Lego molds inject into one stud or the other, I don’t see how it’s physically possible to avoid this: the plastic is going to be a little denser at one end, and therefore cool differently. Unless it too is just an allowable tolerance. (Or maybe the mold is never quite symmetrical on purpose to counterbalance the shrinkage effect, and is calibrated for white rather than sand red... it makes my head hurt.)

-Erik