 LEGO Company / 2149
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Eaton wrote:

   allowed moulding precision to 0.005 mm (0.0002 inches).

I’ve got yet another doc (not sure of the source-- was emailed to me as an Offical ‘standard Lego FAQ’ sorta thing) that reports:

“The precision molds are made at two LEGO factories in Germany and Switzerland. They are precise to five-thousandths of a millimeter.”

First, what ABS can allow moulding to is different than what the company targets. Precision costs money. Decrease the tolerance, and you increase the cost, because more rejects are made.

Also, the mold tolerance is different than the part tolerance. My understanding is that the parts will have a greater variance than the variance of the molds themselves, since the parts expand, contract, are expended by the removal robot etc.

But that all said, I think I have to agree, the PERCEPTION of quality is important here. Perceived quality is why people pay extra for Japanese or European cars. Maybe Korean or American cars are just as good in terms of reliability. But even the perception of better quality is enough to justify buying a Toyota or a Honda over say...a Chrysler.

I don’t think our perception as nitpicking enthusiasts matters, but if this perception slips to the end customer, who knows what will happen?

Calum