 LEGO Company / 2287
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Mark Bellis wrote:
   I believe that over the years the tolerance has been widened, with the aim of reducing production cost.

  1. Several of the bricks had significantly less “clutch power”, though obviously this could also be from deterioration;
  2. The stacks ranged from 95.9 to 96.6 mm. It would be interesting to know if the brick tolerance is +/- 0.1 or 0.3 mm, either way they were all inside it. But there was still significant difference even with these old bricks.
So I would invite others who think the tolerance has widened to do similar tests on older bricks to back up their claim.

ROSCO

I was making up some 1/2 scale blocks (2x2 tile on 2x2 brick on 2x2 plate) the other night and randomly pulled out some of my old “childhood-era” (mid 70’s) 2x2 bricks, and noticed the absolutely horrible quality control it shows...

Ignore the teeth marks, and note the bad molding on bricks 1 & 2. Yes they are Lego. Other pics show the studs.

Reminded me of this old thread :)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=907404 shows how much thinner one wall is from the rest.

The rest of the folder http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97977 (modded already!?!) shows the same four bricks from different views. Note the different LEGO logos, and the underside molding differences (Pat Pend notice).

So much for the “Golden Days of Quality Control” that some were pining for...

-Rob A>