 LEGO Company / 3611
Re: Quality issue - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:01:07 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   So I just wanted to point out, that the picture which Rob has posted to underline, that quality wasn’t automatically good in the “golden” past, shows definitely CA bricks older than year 1963 (or out of samsonite production?).

The “golden years of LEGO quality” have been 1965 ... 1995(?). So this picture tells nothing new, but only repeats that LEGO made a huge step towards perfectionism when they changed from CA (bad!) to ABS (good!).

I wouldn’t assume that 1965 was necessarily as good as, say, 1990. But you’re right insofar as quality from the 60’s and 70’s is not necessarily the same quality as the 80’s and 90’s. If someone’s really looking for proof or disproof of quality degradation, it’s gonna take a lot more evidence. Say, 10 stacks of 15 plates from each of 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, and 2007. The plates don’t even need to be consistant sizes.

It’s a rather over-the-top data collecting effort (especially since verifying the year of a plate possibly means opening (GASP!) an MISB set). But it’s a decent enough sample set such that I doubt anyone would argue with the conclusion if such an effort were made. And hopefully, if someone’s crazy enough to try it, they’ll somehow avoid cracking open their MISB sets :)

DaveE