 Color / 1480
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:25:53 GMT

In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:
     I was emailed by a former employee of Legoland and she said that the
bricks are sprayed with a chemical that what blocks UV light.

I believe that although the chemical coating prolongs the life of the model, it
doesn't mean it will last indefinitely or will never yellow. It just means it
takes longer to do so. I wish I remembered the stats, but I think it's something
like a few months to a year for an untreated model, and 5-10 years for a treated
model, before they start looking sun-and-weather-beaten.

I imagine that the treatment they get also helps prevent damage from rain and
humidity, as I'm told these affect the bricks as well. In particular, I was
relayed a story about master builders constructing a large Naboo fighter model
for a Star Wars convention in ... 1999 I think? Anyway, it had been raining and
humid for a few days straight, and the bricks wouldn't retain their clutch
power, despite being kept under a tent.

Of course, models for displayed are typically glued, so clutch power in
particular isn't as much of an issue, but still, I'm sure the other elements
(other than just the sun) don't do the bricks any good with continuous exposure.

DaveE