 Color / 1473
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:
I don't think that is the problem in that it is random all over the piece and
there is no way these could have been damaged.

I've been told this is common among white elements especially-- that they're
more susceptible to light damage (or perhaps just that it's more noticeable in
white). I was told (IIRC this was from master builders in Enfield) that even the
tiniest of tiny variations can make a white piece go yellow, such that even
elements in the same batch of bricks can behave differently.

From the sounds of it, though, I'd guess that when it was being constructed, it
was being built from several different batches of white, a few of them being
more vulnerable to light.

DaveE

ABS in and of itself will yellow. With white the yellowing is just more evident.
Yellowing occurs in blue and red and all the other colors but is masked. It is
analogous in paint to the fact that certain resins will yellow with age. Acrylic
is perhaps the best of the bunch and very, very little yellowing if any . Hence
the widespread use of acrylic resin in white paint. There is no solution I can
think of for yellowing of white bricks--except to change from ABS. ABS however
has other qualities that make it a good plastic for LEGO bricks. The human eye
can discern millions of different combinations of hues and values.