 Color / 1487
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:48:20 GMT

SNIP

Granted, liquid color has it’s place...I just
   haven’t seen it become hugely popular.

Here’s an interesting article in “Machine Design” called “Mastering Color”.

Just random thoughts here.

-Dave
Very interesting article.

I think the molded plastics business is in the same state of affairs that the paint industry was in the 50’s and 60’s in that they now need to respond quickly to the market preferences for colours as stated in the article. The solution in the paint industry was to ubiquitous colour machine and the mixing of colours at the point of purchase. I actually worked for many years with a company that pioneered the use of the color machine. This whole revolution changed the way that color was used in the home--I mean now we have literally millions of different hues and shades available to the consumer.

But it is a difficult process--as each colorant works differently in each media. The strength of the pigment has to be very strictly controlled. It has to contain pigment specific dispersants and other additives. The base of the paint has to be tested for each pigment and also the combinations of them. etc. etc.

However, the flexibility is terrific. One only has to stock a few bases, a few colorants, and one has the ability to create an almost unlimited variety. If and when the technical issues can be overcome in the molded plastics business, it will open up a whole host of “Designer Colors”. Martha Stewart LEGO colors, Ralph Lauren LEGO colors, lol. Authentic Williamsburg colored bricks. lol

The long term advantages of coloring on the spot are overwhelming for many products, imho.

It was a very difficult transition in the paint industry, but what it did do was to allow small manufacturers to compete with the large ones, small stores to compete with large ones, since the product line was greatly shortened and the amount of dead inventory was essentially reduced to nothing. Small runs of many different colors could be produced--even a run of as small as a quart.

The use of liquid pigments (which are solid pigements dispersed in a liquid of some type) is that it can be measured volumetrically in a contiunuous process. But really do not know much about how is done in injection molding.

Tommy ARmstrong The BrickEngraver