 Color / 1484
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:55:16 GMT

In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Dave Sterling wrote:
   In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Scott Lyttle wrote:
   In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:

Scott

Thanks for the explanitation. I still would think that if the supplier of the pellets starts off with a clear plastic and then adds color, it would be the same for Flextronics starting with a clear plastic and adding color to make the pellets. Perhaps I am a little dense, but when the pellet supplier added the color they were the same as Lego or Flexrtonics adding color. They all start with clear plastic and add color.

-SNIP-

John P

John:

Not quite. Flextronics is a molder, while the suppliers they would buy precolored pellets from are compounders. The difference is all in the method and intensity of mixing. When a compounder colors a resin like ABS, they do start with a natural. The pellets are pre-blended with the pigments and/or dyes along with stabilizers, lubes, and other additives. The preblend is then put through an extruder. The extruder consists of a metal screw wrapped by a heated barrel. The preblend is fed in at one end and comes out the other end in molten strands which are typically cooled in a water bath. The design of the screw along with the processing conditions (temperature, screw RPM) determines how much mixing occurs. This is the heart of compounding technology. Most precolors are done on twin-screw extruders because they offer the best mixing capabilities.

In contrast when a molder colors resin “at the press”, they are adding the colorant in some way (liquid color, masterbatch/concentrate, etc.) at the hopper of the injection molding machine. Mixing is less effective in injection molding machines because they are primarily designed to melt and convey materials rather than mix them. The L/d (length/diameter) ratio of the screw along with the profile of the screw play a part in how much mixing occurs. Injection molding machines typically have low L/d ratios and low-compression or general purpose screws which means that minimal mixing occurs in a molding machine. You can improve mixing by adjusting some processing parameters, but in the end, it will never be as efficient as a twin-screw compounding extruder.

Here’s a very basic overview of compounding.

In my experience, the control over color consistency diminishes the farther you take the colorant away from the compounder. Precolor is usually the most consistent, followed by masterbatches/concentrates, followed by liquid color or “at the press” blending. Granted, I’m probably a little biased as I work for a specialty compounder. :-) Some molders are better than others at maintaining consistency and liquid color can be done well. It just takes someone dedicated to learning the process and all the intricacies.

Also, some machine companies are also starting to come out with “compounding/injection molding machines” which basically combine an extruder with a molding machine. These new machines will allow molders to compound their own materials right at the press. The downside is that they will have to hire engineers who are experienced in materials development to put together the formulations for them. :-)

-Dave

Thanks, it is starting to clear things up for me. Would a solution be to make the bricks from one batch, or at least put bricks into the box from the same mixture? I am somewhat familiar with dye lot variations as I worked in the needlecraft industry for a number of years and it was critical to match dye lots. Stitchers were always told to buy enough thread from the same dye lot. The thread manufactures made it easier in that the box of thread sent to the stores with 10 balls of yarn or 12 skeins of yarns always came from the same lot. I see that it is a lot harder in the plastic industry. Around the time Lego changed the greys, the yarn suppliers changed their grey dye also. There was such an uproar that they had to go back to the original dye lot and the wholesale price of all the colors of the yarn from the manufacture went up. John P

John:

That might work if you were using precolored pellets...but honestly...if you were using precolor, you wouldn’t see the variation. :-) With both concentrates and liquid color, there can easily be shot-to-shot variation if mixing/dispersion is not optimized and/or controlled.

Imagine grabbing a handful of snow. Now take a drop of red food coloring and drop it on that snow. Now you have a small speck that is really red surrounded by a bunch of white. This equates to a bunch of natural pellets surrounding a concentrate red pellet. Now mix the snow up. As you start to mix, the red spreads out. But it spreads slowly and requires a lot of mixing to get to uniform color dispersion. Herein lies the problem. You have to put a lot of work into mixing to get even color.

Now, as a materials supplier, we can add things to the concentrate to aid dispersion of the color. I can’t comment on any specifics...but the technology is out there. Most color concentrates can be fairly evenly dispersed and many companies use this technology. One other thing to keep in mind though is that certain pigments are harder to disperse due to their chemical makeup/structure. Organic based pigments can be particularly tricky to disperse. Perhaps some of the inconsistency comes from the pigment type? I’m not sure, but it’s another piece of the puzzle to look at. I can almost guarantee that LEGO is looking at this though. I firmly believe that the inconsistency you saw is just “start-up jitters” with a new color and new color technology.

Interestingly enough (speaking of new colors and technology), I’ve never heard anyone make mention of the flow-lines that were present in some of the metallic colors produced recently. And I’ll quell any complaining right now by telling everyone that the flow lines in metallics cannot be eliminated...period. :-) We’ve been trying for years. The only thing you can do is try and gate the part to hide the flow lines.

Anyway, I’m babbling now. Hope this information is useful.

Best Regards, Dave