 Color / 1468
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:51:03 GMT

It is true that where LEGO used to receive color-molded pellets for
molding, and now the ABS is clear/uncolored and colors are injected during
molding.

Scott, a question, why is it more difficult to control the color with clear
plastic than it was to control the color in the older method of using colored
plastic?  Is it not the same problem to insure that the colored pellets are the
same color?  They probably made countless runs of the same color pellets without
changing color.  Its hard to believe that they had quality control in the 60s,
70s, 80s, 90s, but can't contol it now.  Is it possible that Lego has reduced
each brick run and they have the problem when making a second brick run?
Your post on the making of the bricks and injection molding was most helpful and
useful.  It was like watching the Discovery Channel's How Its Made.  Thank you.
One personal question.  I have a model of the White House that was on display in
Lego's corporate office in Denmark.  It is glued together.  At some point in its
history it was outside.  It is all white bricks and there is yellowing.  What I
don't understand in that the yellow bricks are not consistent.  They are 1x8,
one next to another and one maybe yellow and the other is pure white.  About
every fifth brick is yellowed in random patterns all over the piece.  Any reason
that you can think of?  This has puzzeled me for some time now.
Thanks
John P