 Color / 1454
Re: Variations in dark blue color.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:57:22 GMT

In lugnet.color, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.color, John Patterson wrote:
What bothers me more is that Lego does not seem to
care about or respond to this ongoing problem.

John P

John,

What would you like LEGO Group to do about the quality?

That is a silly question.  INSIST on quality.  Would you buy a car that had
three fenders one shade off from the rest of the car?

Do what they did before, the highest quality in the toy industry.  They did it
once, why not put their inspectors in the out sourced Flextronics?  It was not a
problem before, Black was black, blue was blue.  At one time they did not accept
a 3% varation in color.  All of a sudden it is ok?  At one time Lego did not
worry about how big the profit was, profit comes to those that do the best job,
not the cheapest.  I think that they have cut too many corners.  I, for one,
would rather pay a higher cost than buy substandard items.  You get what you pay
for.

And why has Lego never responded to this?  They ignore the problem as far as I
can tell.  Not very good customer relations, but that is slowly slipping too.

They no longer
manufacture plastic parts. They have contracted with a third party to
manufacture parts who would try to pass as many parts as they can. LEGO might,
by contract, be obliged to allow certain percentage of less than acceptable
parts to pass. Not to mention that parts are being made in 3 countries by
companies not accustomed to LEGO's high level of quality.

Ultimately, I think there is a decision we all have to make. Do we continue to
be surprised that color variations are occuring or do we prefer to pay more for
elements so that the quality control standards can be upheld? I belive that if
we wish to keep LEGO elements at the current price, then we must accept a
certain level of variation within color. I do not believe we should put up with
shape variations or parts that no longer fit, but we must accept some color
variance.

At one time there was no color variance.  Now some is ok?

LEGO can continue to maintain the quality and color consistency and let the
costs of the elements go beyond the price parents are willing to pay. Or, LEGO
can let colors vary slightly in order to keep costs down. This is clearly an
either or choice and both cannot be accomodated.
.
Sorry, I prefer quality.  That is why I collect Lego and not Mega Blocks

Todd