 Castle / 1564
Re: spelling questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:07:56 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:43:59 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
implies something do with iron, which is why I guessed it had something to

Yeah, the funny thing is the one that looks the most like ferrum,
which means iron, is ferrier, but it's actually derived from a
completely different word.  Although I could ask one of my profs and
I'm sure he'd be able to find a connection someplace between the Latin
words for "to bear" and the word for "iron".

Farrier, though, comes from the middle english "ferrour". Iron is definitely
involved.

Yeah, I think I mentioned the ME in another post.  'Course, it came
through French also, so seeing the spelling get fowled up isn't any
big surprise, is it?  :)

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/