 Castle / 2254
Re: A village challenge winner - Bostonian punk;)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:44:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:

I just wish I had more money to spend on ABS... I need about 5-10 more houses
before it really starts to become something that fulfills my "grand vision"
(well, ok, it would take about 50 houses to make that :( ) and sadly enough,
each roof costs about $30-$40 to make! (All those tan plates really add up!)

Maybe I missed or forgot this, but is there a reason you're only using
tan?  I think that yellow plates would work well for a thatched roof, and
they'd add a bit of needed color to your town.

I thought about yellow briefly, but I never actually used it to try it out...
maybe I'll give that a go and see how it looks...

Alternately, don't use plates at all - use bricks!  After all, a thatched
roof is basically made of straw, and they had to put it on pretty darn
thick for it to be both waterproof and insulating.  (I also think that in
older houses they generally just put the new thatch on top of the old
stuff when it needed to be replaced) You might even be able to find some
2x3 bricks with the rounded ends - I'm pretty sure those exist - to use
for the eaves.

The only reason I'm not using tan bricks is actually to save them for potential
future structures and landscaping... eventually the mill will be next to a
river (with green grass on the side, and slightly raised so the wheel can dip
into the stream), so I'll use tan and green bricks to fade from tan blend a bit
more from tan to green by the riverside... BUT... I suppose I COULD try using
the heiroglyphic 1x2x5 and 1x6x5's turned over to hide the writing.... hmm.....
maybe I'll play around with that (although I do like the roughness of showing
studs on the top of the roofs... I'll have to test it out...)

Thanks for the ideas!
DaveE