 Castle / 1542
1541  |  1543
Subject:
Medieval occupations (was Re: spelling questions ...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:51:02 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John DiRienzo writes:
But aren't a farrier and a smith one and the same?

Nope.  A farrier is different.  A smith will quite happily make horseshoes,
but will tell you where to go if you ask him to put them on your horse. ;)
(Unless, of course, he's also a farrier)  A farrier would shoe horses, as well
as repair saddles, bridles and other leatherwork.  A town or a city would have
a farrier, while a village isn't likely to.  In a small village, most people
would shoe their own horses (if they even had them) and oxen (if they
bothered).  Or as often happened, someone in the village would have a knack
for it, and people would get Farmer Greg to shoe their horses, in exchange for
(whatever).  Barter was big back then.

Were there ferries in the days of Castles?  Just wondering.

Yup. :)  Ferries were common across rivers too deep to ford with a wagon, and
where there wasn't enough traffic to warrant a bridge (or stone to make one).
Odds are a village wouldn't have one - villages by a river would tend to be on
one side or the other.  Towns would be the most likely to have a ferry, and
cities would almost certainly build bridges.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/