 Castle / 1540
1539  |  1541
Subject:
spelling questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:29:46 GMT

~My~ Webster's didn't have either, and neither did M-W.com, which is why I
asked what the words meant.  James Brown had the best guesses, I think -
they were the same as my guesses, misspelled words of similar meanings.  I
had guessed cobbler from hobbler, but had never heard ferrier or farrier,
that I can remember.  But aren't a farrier and a smith one and the same?
Ferrier would make more sense to me for the spelling of the word, as it
implies something do with iron, which is why I guessed it had something to
do with horse shoes, but was mystified when I couldn't confirm my guess in
the dictionary.  Enough about spelling.  Thanks for the help.  Were there
ferries in the days of Castles?  Just wondering.

PS - none of the words in question passed my spell check, either, but it did
suggest Ferrari!
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady
James Brown wrote in message ...
In lugnet.castle, Fraser Lovatt writes:
In lugnet.castle, James Powell writes:

A ferrier is someone who maintains or operates a ferry

Neg, as the other James pointed out, a Ferrier is someone who shoes
horses...like my wife's old boss in Victoria.

No -- Mike is correct.

A farrier shoes horses, a ferrier operates a ferry.

Check out Websters -- or dictionary.com

Interesting... dictionary.com cites Websters (1996 ed) as it's source for
'ferrier', but m-w.com has no entry.  There's also no source/etemolgy at
dictionary.com... Neat.  I wonder what the hardcopy of Webster's says...

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/