 Castle / 1537
Re: A village challenge and questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:46:43 GMT

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:19:56 GMT, "James Powell"
<wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote:

A ferrier is someone who maintains or operates a ferry

Neg, as the other James pointed out, a Ferrier is someone who shoes
horses...like my wife's old boss in Victoria.

Well, a fErrier is someone who maintains or operates a ferry.

ferrier \Fer"ri*er\, n. A ferryman. --Calthrop

A fArrier is someone who shoes horses.

Both probably look the same, even going a ways back, but I would guess
that ferrier is ultimately dervied from the Latin verb fero, ferre,
tuli, latum, which means to bear, carry, etc.

Farrier seems to have been derived ultimately from the Latin ferrum,
meaning iron.  Somewhere between Middle English and now ferrour,
blacksmith, became farrier.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/