 Castle / 2262
Re: A village challenge winner - Bostonian punk;)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:36:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:

Maybe I missed or forgot this, but is there a reason you're only using
tan?  I think that yellow plates would work well for a thatched roof, and
they'd add a bit of needed color to your town.

I thought about yellow briefly, but I never actually used it to try it out...
maybe I'll give that a go and see how it looks...

I suspect it'll look OK, maybe a bit bright - but then again, all LEGO
colors tend to be 'a bit bright' so it ought to be OK.  Besides, LEGO hay
has traditionally been yellow in all the old castle sets. 8)

Alternately, don't use plates at all - use bricks!  After all, a thatched
roof is basically made of straw, and they had to put it on pretty darn
thick for it to be both waterproof and insulating.
I suppose I COULD try using
the heiroglyphic 1x2x5 and 1x6x5's turned over to hide the writing.... hmm.....
maybe I'll play around with that (although I do like the roughness of showing
studs on the top of the roofs... I'll have to test it out...)

Actually, I was thinking of using 2x4 bricks and such, so that you'd still
have the studs on top of the roof.  It'd be a very thick thatched roof,
but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Alsao, if you find yourself with a completed house and not enough plates
to roof it, you could always put on part of a roof, and have a couple of
minifigs working on laying down new thatch. 8)