 Castle / 1522
Re: A village challenge and questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:43:01 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Most of us here have explored many castle basic structures:

1)  Castles
2)  Taverns
3)  Churches
4)  etc...

I am actually working on a whole castle village's worth of custom models at the
moment... and here are the ideas I'm developing:

Town Well:  As mentioned in other posts - the focal point of the town.

Wind Mill:  Another essential focal point of town life where the peasant mill
their grains, store their flour, and of course where the local landlord's taxes
are collected.

Farm: Many middle age farms were actually quite large and employed many
families to operate them.  Usually in exchange for the peasant's service, they
were rewarded a little plot of land to grow their own provisions.  Some middle
age farms were actually so large that they rivaled the local landlord's estate
in size and some even had defensive fortifications (in France these farm
estates were called a Grange).  It also was't just the local nobility that
owned these farms, but often they were church property.

Church:  As the counter balance to the Landlord system, the peasants gave
freely to the Church and it was often the largest building in any village,
likely to be the only one made of stone.

Blacksmith and other workshops:  the local landlord usually gave a charter for
such essential duties as a Blacksmith, fletcher, butcher, baker, carpenter,
hobbler, ferrier, etc.  These "professionals" would be granted land for their
workshop and usually would dwell in the same building.

Monestary or Nunnery.  Young Obi Wan would make a great monk and now we get
black nun's caps in the new Castle!

Market:  On special grant from the landord, towns would often have a weekly
market day in the main square.

Adventurer's shop:  While not of any historical value, why not have one of
those shops where the young adventurer get's equiped to seek fortune and fame
and get those necessary items like suits of chainmail, magic wands, and the all
important Scroll of Healing.

I'm still working on the designs and instructions, so it may be several months
before any of my sets are available, but you can view some of my previous
castle creations on my web page and I hope to have my prototype models posted
soon as well.

Take care!

Dan

http://www.visi.com/~blackened/gallery_castle.html