 Castle / 1812
Re: A village challenge and questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:37:30 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:19:56 GMT, "James Powell"
<wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote:

A ferrier is someone who maintains or operates a ferry

Neg, as the other James pointed out, a Ferrier is someone who shoes
horses...like my wife's old boss in Victoria.

Well, a fErrier is someone who maintains or operates a ferry.

ferrier \Fer"ri*er\, n. A ferryman. --Calthrop

A fArrier is someone who shoes horses.

Both probably look the same, even going a ways back, but I would guess
that ferrier is ultimately dervied from the Latin verb fero, ferre,
tuli, latum, which means to bear, carry, etc.

True.  Fero/ferre is also a verb, whereas "ferrum" is a noun.  As an
indicator, the periodic table's entry for iron is still (and will always
be) Fe.

Farrier seems to have been derived ultimately from the Latin ferrum,
meaning iron.  Somewhere between Middle English and now ferrour,
blacksmith, became farrier.

There's also a few others interesting Latin metallurgical terms running
around our world (and the LEGO one)--for example, lead in Latin was
"plumbium" [I can't remember if it was that or simply "plumbum") and it's
still Pb elementally; but that's where "plumbing" comes from, because the
Roman system was all lead.  Dain bramage!  Similarly, tin was "Stannum,"
(now "Sn" on the ol' table), which gives us the current forename Stan and
the surname Stanner (a tinworker).  There has been a suggestion that
"Standish" comes from this as well, but it seems more likely that "stand"
is the basis there.

One of my housemates' surnames is "Farrar."  I'm pretty sure that's a
mutation of "Farrier."  A colleague of mine who owns a horse also defined
"Farrier" as "One Who Gets Kicked By Horses."

best,

Lindsay