 Castle / 1521
Re: A village challenge and questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:10:19 GMT

These are some interesting questions I've been asking myself as well, so
I'll chip in with my own thoughts...

For my next little project, I'm going to be working on a village - a very • small
village which might have three houses and a square.  So my question • comes - what
SHOULD a small village contain?  A town square?  And what should be there?

Towns tended to be built around a well or something, from which all the
people could gather the water essential for drinking, bathing, watering
their animals, etc.  Produce, meat, and livestock might be sold in makeshift
booths around the square.  The town's most important building (probably the
church) might be there too.

So here are my thoughts so far:

1)  I will focus on having tan and brown all over - with maybe black and a
little bit of gray - very little.  Dark gray is preferable.

You could make some poor-man's-Tudor-style houses with white or tan walls
and brown or dark grey timbers.  Also maybe some stucco-covered stone houses
which would be mostly tan with grey stones showing through here and there.
Roofs would be wooden, perhaps tarred as well (brown or black).  Houses
would probably have attached pens/stables for any animals the family owned.

So my challege goes out for those of you with resources to design a house • or two
that would meet these criteria.  For those that don't have resources, I • would
like to have your opinion:  What should this place look like?  Maybe one • of you
could help me with the layout.  I think I gave a pretty good idea of what • I'm
looking for ... and now I need feedback because there are tons of creative • guys
and gals out there, so I hoped for a collective effort on this ...

Layout could be simple, maybe two dusty intersecting streets.  A
self-reliant town would have a baker, butcher, blacksmith, inn, tailor, some
addition merchants (depending on the size of the town), and several farms --
which were the raison d'être for both the town and the castle in medieval
times.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing you ideas ...

Hope I've said something that someone else didn't. :)

Paul Davidson