 CAD / 13725
Re: Classic Windows: Variants of 646*.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:28:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote:
   Following the naming scheme discussed here, the full set of LDraw files for the classic windows and their glass from 1x1x1 up to 1x6x2 has now been posted to the Parts Tracker. Please see the review summary http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreviewsummary.cgi?f=classicwindows which should help to manage the review process. I’d like these to be issued as a batch.

Chris,

Thanks for continuing work on this ‘project’. Actually, I appreciate everyone involved in this effort.

You mentioned discussion of a naming scheme. I don’t see (in this thread) where that was discussed. If you could point me in the right direction to (re)read that discussion, I’d appreciate it.

In the meantime, I’d like to propose a change to the names to better (IMO) balance readability and LDraw’s limits and standards versus the need for accuracy and precision. See the table below.

I will say right away that I don’t know that my proposed names are optimal -- my choices were driven (somewhat) by ‘doing the least amount of damage’. I do feel the newer names are a step in the right direction. Just maybe not the best step.

I made the following alterations:
  1. Expanded ‘(Compl.)’ to ‘(Complete)’.
  2. Moved ‘Classic’ to follow the dimensions, instead of preceding them.
  3. Changed ‘Ledge’ to ‘Sill’. ‘Sill’ seems to be an accurate label for the feature in question. If ‘ledge’ is actually a better term (I’m not an expert on window nomenclature), then we should stick with ‘ledge’.
  4. Replaced ‘S/Studs and L/Ledge’ with ‘Solid Studs’, as the solid stud is the identifying feature of these variations.
  5. Replaced ‘H/Studs and S/Ledge’ with ‘Short Sill’, as the short sill is the identifying feature of these variations.
  6. Replaced ‘H/Studs and L/Ledge’ with ‘Long Sill’. This abbreviation is definitely arguable, because unique identification of these variations requires mention of both stud type and sill width.
  7. Changed ‘with Shutters’ to ‘Classic Shuttered with...’.
Part
   Current Name
   Len
   New Proposal
   Len

39BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 1 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   62
   Window 1 x 1 x 1 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

39CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 1 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 1 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

39C
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 1 with Hollow Studs and Short Ledge
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 1 Classic with Short Sill
   60

39AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 1 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 1 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

29BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 2 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

29CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 2 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 2 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

29C
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 2 with Hollow Studs and Short Ledge
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 2 Classic with Short Sill
   60

29AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 1 x 2 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 1 x 2 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

27BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 1 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 1 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

27CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 1 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 1 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

27C
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 1 with Hollow Studs and Short Ledge
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 1 Classic with Short Sill
   60

27AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 1 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 1 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

13BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 2 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

13CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 2 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 2 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

13AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 2 x 2 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 2 x 2 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

31BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 3 x 2 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 3 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

31CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 3 x 2 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 3 x 2 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

31AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 3 x 2 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 3 x 2 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

453BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 4 x 2 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 4 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

453CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 4 x 2 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 4 x 2 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

453AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 4 x 2 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 4 x 2 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

645BC01
   Window Classic 1 x 6 x 2 with H/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (Complete)
   53

645CC01
   Window Classic 1 x 6 x 2 with H/Studs and S/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic with Short Sill (Complete)
   54

645AC01
   Window Classic 1 x 6 x 2 with S/Studs and L/Ledge (Compl.)
   61
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic with Solid Studs (Complete)
   55

646BC01
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 with Shutters, H/Studs, L/Ledge (Compl.)
   60
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic Shuttered with Long Sill (Complete)
   63

646CC01
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 with Shutters, H/Studs, S/Ledge (Compl.)
   60
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic Shuttered with Short Sill (Complete)
   64

646AC01
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 with Shutters, Solid Studs, L/Ledge (Compl.)
   64
   Window 1 x 6 x 2 Classic Shuttered w/ Solid Studs (Complete)
   63