 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 781
  My modular castle creations

This is an Idea I’m certain we’ve all thought of, but I figured that I would try to put my ideas into words and pictures. It’s a Castle theme that I’ve developed in my spare time. (URL) main purpose of these designs was to try to put together a (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle) !!

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Then why do they keep giving us BURPy-LURPy parts? Drive me crazy... Jon, I really like all of your sets, and, as you pointed out, even if someone hated them, there's enough variety of parts to build something else. (Yay!) I have a question, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

I read every word that you wrote… I viewed every picture you posted… And I considered your statements in its entirety… …Thus, all I have to say is: !!!FINALLY, this is so RIGHT!!! This is what we want… This is what will sell… These are the type of (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.general)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Jon, Beautiful creation. (Though why aren't you busy making LotR MOCs!?!? :) ) I really like this as a theme, even though I'm not a fan of panel wall pieces. One question, in the corner tower subset, can the walls be attached to any of the 4 sides (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) battlements), but the concept is excellent, and the execution is very good. The Great Hall is especially nice---things like the fireplace and the food give ideas for what to do if you get the bricks to rebuild larger, but are cleanly executed (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) This is the girlie (arwen) princess. The actual female warrior (Eowyn) that belongs in this series would be a shop at home exclusive. I haven't posted year two, or the mid year releases either, as I figured this thread might get trashed, and (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Bruce, Thanks for your comments! The walls can only connect at the ends of the walls at this point. Yours is a good Idea however, I think that it would work as well. This is my first attempt at this type of roof, so I'm glad it turned out well. I'm (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Jon, this is lovely, and you've set yourself a hard problem. The thing that seems not quite in theme about it is the monochrome colors. Most Lego castles have a spot of color, a red, black, or blue roof. It keeps the minifigs smiling. -Erik (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Thanks a lot for your compliments Richard. I really appreciate the encouragement! IF we ever got sets like this, or they made these pieces available from the website, I think I'd pass out! Jon (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

I love this stuff. In my wildest dreams Lego would pick up on this. Perhaps when the HP license runs out. I think the design is perfect. Reminds me of the old 80's castle lego made. The blacksmith shop, the seige tower, the guarded inn, stuff that (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

I couldn't agree with you more Jon. We castle fans don't need any fancy new pieces to make us happy; just a reappearance of castle sets. Those modular sets you're created are exactly the kind of thing I want LEGO to bring back to the market. I've (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Mr. John Furman sir, That is very well thought out and nicely done. I am very impressed with your acheivement of what all of us have been thinking of. The only change I would like to see might be different knightly characters (think armor like in (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Jon, These sets are excellent. I love the modular idea. Your livery stable is a must have for any castle. Ben (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Jon - absolutely superb (and an awful lot better than the attempt I made to do something similar a few month ago). Well thought out from the commercial axis as well - a nice mix of subjects & good 'price points'. I for one would like to see your (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  RE: My modular castle creations

Jon, I just had to say, very tastefully done! I really like the livery and the gate house. The nice part is, you can 'buy' extra wall sections to expand the sides making it a much deeper walled city. That way you could fit everything inside the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Which is exactly what the original classic-gray castles promised but never quite lived up to. Your designs are so simple as to be brilliant, and I like how there would be a range of sizes and prices within your hypothetical theme. Also, your (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Thanks, I would have loved to stick with the short battlements as well, but I was limited as to how they would connect to the towers. I could make them work in every set except the corner owers, as they weakened the integrity of the towers upper (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) First off awesome designs but I must also add that they are very monochromatic. Colors would have been nice. If nothing else perhaps some of the banners used in HP but in different colors. They could be hung off of the corner towers. Overall (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Erik, Thanks for your input. THere are two things that I'm not quite satisfied with, one is the battlements, and the other is the color. I'd have loved to put some dark grey in there as well as some color, but I am limited by bricks as well as (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Erick, Thanks for the compliments! In the princess Tower, I accidentally left out the bottom ladder hook when I photographed it. It is actually pinned to the roof of the second floor instead of on the second story floor itself. this allows the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

David, I think you are right on about a sub license. The only thing that TLG would have to worry about is parental reaction as the product moves from the innocuous "sure they've got swords and axes, but look at how happy they are..." world into the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Aaron It is about time for some new arms isn't it! I'd love to see some more Body armor, as well as some combed helms. maybe some new swords as well! THanks for the compliments! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Thanks Ben, With so many great blacksmith shops out there, I had to try something a little different! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Ian, It'll be a couple of weeks before the finished versons of the year two items are finalised, but the mid year stuff will be up soon. Thaks for your compliments! As far as chunky goes, it's hard to make chunky happen in a slim price range! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Sounds like a great idea Tamyra! I'd love to see what every body else comes up with as well. I'm certain everybody has some great ideas. The expandability was the most importand part for me, so it would be cool to see what other stuff folks could (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Thanks for the compliments Hendo, At one point as I was developing this idea, I thought that it would be great to have a series of polybagged sets that accessorised the theme: A villagers picnic, an accountant, an armourer, a falconer, etc, some (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

YOu are right on about the Monochromatic aspect of the sets, THat is an area where they could use some more work! I like the Idea of hanging banners, I must have gotten too caught up in the whole battle concept to think farther ahead into the whole (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

oh wow beautiful. if i ever saw these in a store i would poop my pants! thanks so much for sharing.. this makes me wish i wasn't at work so i could do some amazing castle work. this is great, not just because it would regenerize Lego Castle, but is (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

I think we may have to start a .adult diapers newsgroup! Thanks for the awesome compliments Lenny! I think everyone should be able to take a Sick / Build day! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Beautiful! I have also been thinking along similar lines recently, and you have captured much of what was on my mind. The monochromality of your stuff doesn't bother me so much, castle tended to be all the same colour. I would however, suggest you (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Well, we do have those basketball figs . . . ducking, running, Bruce (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

I really like the overall idea, and it's quite similar to something I have been slowly developing. (school and work get in the way) I especially like the way you have ladders and doors connecting almost everything and I hope you will post more of (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Jon, I just saw that the "Connectivity" folder is up (it wasn't moderated yesterday). Your castle looks even better when you put the other buildings in the middle. Bruce (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Hahaha , by arms I meant Armaments, but those NBa guys might help us make some very cool Islamic soldiers if we added them to those guys from the orient expedition! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) This was definately a parts restrictions issue. These sets are really only something that I would buy if Lego produced them. They aren't really something I would build on my own. I myself would have had taller towers and bigger battlements (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Don't worry , as evidenced by other posting, the battlements were something that had to be sacrificed to lower parts count. These arent really something I would build to show off my design skills, rather something I would buy , to build what I (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

JON, I think what you've done here is perfect. Though the "sets" may not be as big as some would want, they definitely make for some nice add-ons. Since seeing your creations, I've started making "modules" off of your ideas. I agree with you 100 (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Hee-hee! I told my husband I wanted Legos for Christmas (No brainer!), and knowing he wouldn't plan far enough ahead to get the Blacksmith's shop, Black Falcon Fortress, or the Guarded Inn from S@H, I told him that any Harry Potter sets would (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  RE: My modular castle creations

That is a wonderful idea Jon! Some small polybag sets with a fig and a couple of things to add into any village setup! I especially like the picnic idea, it would be a great way to stock up on food for royal parties. I'm not totally sure of the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Funny... Aragog is one I wanted because I want more of the green foliage pieces and 16x16 baseplates. Unfortunately, most of the other parts, like that spider, are completely useless to me, so i'ts not worth $20. (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) At $15 with K-Mart BOGO I think it's reasonably worthwhile. Like you say, it's got good terrain bricks, and two decent minifigs (ok, so you need to loose the Harry Potter head, but otherwise the minifigs are good). The spider has some good (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) I have to agree with Frank, I think this set has great value in the parts for realistic landscaping. The problem with most MOC Castle creations is that the focus is too heavy on military, castle walls using very simple designs and pre-fab (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

Very well thought out Jon! I have a feeling Lego Direct may already be up to something like this, considering both of their classic castle re-issues are from back in the modular castle days. It also fits into the modular My Own Train and Super (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

(...) Maybe they should have had Jon design the HP sets. That way if you bought them all, you could snap 'em together into a giant Hogwarts Castle. I wonder what genius dropped the ball on that one? (21 years ago, 25-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

OK, I would buy this. I would buy all of these. They're fun, they're "real Lego", they're modular, they're open to possibilities. AND they're all priced within a lower price range, which would oddly encourage me to spend more overall in buying each (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: My modular castle creations

[aragog] (...) Yeah, Duelling Club is horrible for the price. I guess the spring loaded wizard ejector is the cause of that. The spider is sorta useless to me, but the pic on the back of the box wth all of the spider leg parts put into a tree looks (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.castle)