 Castle / 15671
Re: My modular castle creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:42:40 GMT

Magnus, thanks for your comments, I like them all-
In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:
I would however, suggest you might want to see if you can put doors in say
the corner towers and gatehouse which can be accessed from the battlements.
The certainly is space for this. I would personally also raise the
battlements by a brick or two, but I realise there are parts restrictions.

This was definately a parts restrictions issue.  These sets are really only
something that I would buy if Lego produced them.  They aren't really
something I would build on my own.  I myself would have had taller towers
and bigger battlements (check out how puny the ones on top of the tower
are), with a lot more detailed attention paid to the entrances and exits of
the structures, but I worked and worked to get the model to be something I
could say was "realisticaly" featured, but still in the $15 price range.
Theseare sets I would buy, for kids 8 -12 yrs old to play with, and adults
to purchase in mass quantities to build whatever they wanted with.

I think it is important for us castleheads to distiguish between what is an
awesome modular set for us, and what is the kind of modular set that lego
would consider producing for mass sale. Also, your sets seem to be pretty
much a return to the modular system of the mid 80s, but I think that for
Lego to really do a modular castle theme again, they would want to do
something new with the idea, rather than just go back to building sets the
way they did 20-15 years ago.

I lightly touched on this in the initial post, but I was really going for a
direction that Lego could have gone somewhere in early 1990, instead of the
direction they did (which I liked until 1995).  I didn't really see this as
a move for the future of Lego Castle itself, but more like what I would like
to purchase, instead of King Leo's Castle (Which I can't even purchase now!)
You could build almost all of this stuff by just purchasing around three of
the black falcons fortresses.  THis was more of an attempt to show how much
more they could have done to actually deliver on the hint of Modularity that
they started with.  Admittedly, this is a recombination of existing parts,
of course if LEgo was to do this themselves they could do so much more, I'm
kind of limited to working with what they did 20 yrs ago, so most of what I
do will a new design of what they've already done.  I'm not so much asking
Lego to do this, as I am showing others my Idea of what more could be done
in Lego's price range. (instead of the INSTANLY FORGETTABLE "aragog in the
dark forest" set)

One thing that more recent sets have going for them is more playable
accesories, and this could be incorporated into a modular castle theme
without compromising historical realism. I think today's kids expect more
workable playable parts than kids did back in the golden age of lego castle.
But playability doesn't have to "juniorise" a modular castle set like this.
I'm thinking of stuff like working locking beams on gates (like was used in
the Fort Legorado), perhaps a sally port somewhere in a tower or wall,
ladders or staircases linking all floors to each other, machicolations which
you can actually drop small bricks through, etc. • This is definately a great Idea
Another thing which could be explored is the kind of varied minifigs and
smaller sets which woudn't necesarrily have to be part of a modular wall.
How about a peasant's hovel (built much like Hagrid's hut), complete with a
few farm animnals in a small fenced enclosre and a plough. That could be a
kinda cool 35 buck set.

check out my comments to John Henderson a little earlier
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=15658

How about a big medieval warship, the size of a
medium sized pirate theme ship? Lego never really put out an even remotely
realistically scaled cog with fighting platorms. If you want to add more
colours to the theme without sacrifising realism, you could use lots of the
brown timber walls parts for buildings, a siege tower, and maybe even hoardings.

Again, these are really awesome Ideas you are quite the think tank.  this is
stuff I'd really like to see!  Really ambitious.  Good stuff.

Just some ideas. Please don't feel I am criticising your stuff, I think it
really rocks. I just think that one needs to be more ambitious then simply a
return to the old Black Falcon and Crusader type sets.

No worries here mate. I think you are right in almost everything you've
touched on, and your Ideas are first rate.  You'd do great as a New Theme
Designer!
I guess I'm not really looking for The Lego Group to do this as a future
project, more realistically, something that Lego Direct could do now with
the parts they've already gotten from TLG.  Thaks for your awesome comments
Magnus!  Jon

cheers

Magnus

PS: I'd be interested to see you try your hand at a small church.

Funny you should say that, I just started to build one this weekend, I'll
e-mail a pic this week!