 Administrative / Suggestions / 1534
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:03:13 GMT

I haven’t yet commented on the new design, but now I must say I that I like the most recent revision (#6?). I miss the quick links to deeper levels of the newsgroups, however -- they’re on the current site in the lower left corner.

I hadn’t commented because most of what I wasn’t liking was already mentioned by others, particularly the amount of empty space at the top that is now being used again.

Some minor comments:
  • Because the highlighted news items on the left are all bold, they become harder to read.

  • The helpful links box in the right column has the same issue. You might also want to play around with indentation in that box. I do like the little icons, though.

  • The headers for the center column seem a bit too large in the context of the rest of the page.

  • The popup preview of highlighted news stories is a nice addition (a positive comment!)

  • You’re probably going to have to put the legalese boilerplate back into the footer. All that stuff is covered in the terms of use page, but it’s good to be safe.

  • The search select box should retain the word “reference” for sets and parts to make it more clear to newcomers what it means to search under those two categories. The little ‘?’ icon on the current site for the search help page should also be used.

  • The colors in the new version of the logo seem a bit off. It’s like Maersk blue got in there and washed everything out.

I know you can’t please everyone, so of course you’re free to ignore me. :)