 Trains / Train Organizations / 1271
Re: IOLTC Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 01:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Mike Walsh writes:
I suspect that 99% of the communication on the lists will be related to
working out issues with GATS, Greenburg, or some other show promoter.

Huh?  You have to be kidding.  In every train show that WAMALUG has
participated in, the promoter *begged* us to put up a display.  There
have never been any issues that I am aware of.  Is such a group necessary?
Is it even desiarable, considering the variety of train club styles,
organization and participation?   We do train shows because it's a great way
to focus building and encourage group interaction.  The show itself is
actually secondary.

Well the one thing I would like to know is how much other clubs (especially
those that participate in Greenberg) get for honorariums.  We (NELUG) have also
been begged to do these shows and I seriously wonder if we are getting an
honorarium that is commencerate with the number of people we pull in.

That is the only thing I can think of.

Since there doesn't appear to be any real reason for such an umbrella
group, and since LD appears to be involved, I have to wonder what's really
going on.  We all know that LD has been very generous in donating supplies
for train shows.  This is good for everyone because train shows are
an incredible marketing opportunity for LEGO.  If they expect something
else in return, or a more formal relationship with the train clubs, they
should come right out and say so.

I would have to agree.  It seems to be unclear as to LD's involvement.  One
post seems to suggest that this was their Idea and then another post says that
it wasn't their idea at all.

I really don't want to stir the pot but facts make all the difference in the
world.  What I would really like to know is if...

1.  LD is aware (formally) of this new group and if so what do they expect from
it.  (This would be a good point for LD to step up to the plate with an
answer).

2.  What, if anything, does LD expect in return for involvement.

Please don't kill me for this.  I just want to know all the facts.  If it is as
simple as "there was a missunderstanding" and this is just a very informal
group then please let me know.  I just want to know LDs involvement so our
group can make an informed decision as to whether this is a good idea or not.

Eric Kingsley