 Trains / Train Organizations / 1269
Re: IOLTC Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 23:49:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Mike Walsh writes:
I suspect that 99% of the communication on the lists will be related to
working out issues with GATS, Greenburg, or some other show promoter.

Huh?  You have to be kidding.  In every train show that WAMALUG has
participated in, the promoter *begged* us to put up a display.  There
have never been any issues that I am aware of.  Is such a group necessary?
Is it even desiarable, considering the variety of train club styles,
organization and participation?   We do train shows because it's a great way to
focus building and encourage group interaction.  The show itself is actually
secondary.

Since there doesn't appear to be any real reason for such an umbrella
group, and since LD appears to be involved, I have to wonder what's really
going on.  We all know that LD has been very generous in donating supplies
for train shows.  This is good for everyone because train shows are
an incredible marketing opportunity for LEGO.  If they expect something
else in return, or a more formal relationship with the train clubs, they should
come right out and say so.

KL