 Trains / 883
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:18:17 GMT

Steve Barile wrote:

Just a copuple weeks ago I took the train from Portland to Seattle. It s was
the Amtrak (Talgo) passenger train. It has only one axle between cars. I tried
to find some pics but ran out of time here is a URL
http://www.talgo.com/prini.htm.
I plan to make one, I think this one calls for some fancy engineering and some
rubber bands (of course LEGO brand).
SteveB

Some very fancy engineering...you are not kidding. The car has to swing like a
pendulum (or would LEGO shock absorbers have enough give to allow the the bottom
of the car to swing out--maybe weights would help by adding a bit more inertia
for the bottom of the pendulum) hold the wheelset perpendicular to the track, all
while allowing the cars to pivot about the wheelset.

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Something I noticed while driving past the rail yard and while watching
"Extreme Machines" or was it "Trains Unlimited" is a trick that both
high-speed trains and freight trains use to reduce rolling resistance.
The trick is to cut down the rolling resistance by cutting down the
number of bogies/wheel sets. Instead of each car having two sets of
wheels, two cars are connected to one sets of wheels. I regularly see
flat bed cars that have wheels arranged like this.

x--x         x--x         x--x         x--x

instead of the standard

x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x

Anyone working on a reduced wheel set design? There are certainly some
interesting technical issues invovled. Anyway, just trying to spark more
discussion.

Chris