 Trains / 875
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:55:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

What would be cool would be a talgo model. See the January (??) trains.

What do you mean by January trains? This news group in Januray? Also, where do
you get most of your information, books about real trains, books about model
trains, modeling magazines? I keep saying that I am going to get this book

The Great Book of Trains
Brian Hollingsworth & Arthur Cook
Featuring 310 locomotives shown in over 160 full-colour illustrations
and more than 500 photographs.
414 pages.
ISBN 1-85501-852-7

I found the reference here. Are you familiar with this book. With all the
illustrations it seems like it would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Chris

Think metroliner engine, single cab, at each end... and a bunch of cars
that are way lower (4559 height) in the middle. Each car has a single
steerable pair of wheels NOT sharing a common axle so they can rotate at
different speeds at one end. These are in service in the Pacific

So, a bit like a car...front wheels steer through the curve and rear wheel just
follow without pivoting, or do the rear wheels pivot freely.

Northwest. Amtrak has 3 trainsets, the State of Washington has one, all

painted the same. Testing at Pueblo, these babies hit 125 MPH with no
sway. They tilt into the curves using a fully passive tilt system.

Sorry for overlooking/forgetting some of the things that have been done out
there!

Chris

David Zonker Harris wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote (in part):

  ____car____  ____car____  ____car____
x--x         x--x         x--x         x--x •   <snip>
Anyone working on a reduced wheel set design? There are certainly some
interesting technical issues invovled. Anyway, just trying to spark more
discussion.

  You can look at my Freight Container Car page.

        http://baylug.org/zonker/ZContCar.html

            -Z-

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.