 Trains / 887
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:50:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Something I noticed while driving past the rail yard and while watching
"Extreme Machines" or was it "Trains Unlimited" is a trick that both
high-speed trains and freight trains use to reduce rolling resistance.
The trick is to cut down the rolling resistance by cutting down the
number of bogies/wheel sets. Instead of each car having two sets of
wheels, two cars are connected to one sets of wheels. I regularly see
flat bed cars that have wheels arranged like this.

  ____car____  ____car____  ____car____
x--x         x--x         x--x         x--x

instead of the standard

____car____  ____car____  ____car____
x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x

Anyone working on a reduced wheel set design? There are certainly some
interesting technical issues invovled. Anyway, just trying to spark more
discussion.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I did just this with my #4559 about 18 months ago.  I built stretched 2 wheel
"Super bogies" that support the ends of adjacent cars.  And, since the train
end (tail) has the same s-bogie, I fashioned a tailcap that continues the
train streamlining **plus** it has a fifth cargo bay.  For this I built a pod
with computer/electronic door motifs.  On my raillines, these mobile tele-
communications platforms are hauled by the trains to augment the satellite
network and generate revenue (now there's creative marketing).  The stretch
work continued forward with the loco lengthened by a stud.

dp/PNLTC