 Trains / 910
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:06:14 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

snip stuff about footnoting

On the single wheelset issue. The real Talgo has bars that tie one car
to the next, and to various points on the wheelbracket. These bars,
somehow, cause the wheelbracket to turn to the correct angle. Note that
the two wheels are NOT on the same axle.

Right the wheels are not on the same axel. At first I thought this was so the
wheels could travel at different speeds, but differentials are not brought up
elsewhere in trains (are they) so I figured that couldn't be the reason. Then I
though maybe it is so they can lower the coach; if part of the coach can sit
between the wheels then the coach does not have to be as high fo the ground. Now
I am wondering does this mean that the wheels turn independently like the front
wheels of a car, or does the entire wheel set pivot about a center vertical axis.

The Jaunary Trains points out that there are 14 connections between one
car and the next if you count all the bars and links etc. Whew!

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.

Taken from G. Benedikt Rochow's post

How about: on each bogie but the first/last, have 2 vertical axles, one
for each car; each with a 24t gear (the 2 of which are meshing).
Mount the 2 cars using that bogie (or their pendulum bases, rather) on
these 2 axles, and the bogie will always be at the midpoint of their
relative angle. That's still not perfectly in line with the track
at all times, but closer than being locked to one car.

  |   |         | axles for cars to sit on
-ggg-GGG-       g, G the 2 gears
  =====         - the gears' teeth
   ooo          = top of bogie where axles stick into; needs
  ooooo           to be repeated above gears
   ooo          o side of one of the track wheels.

G?

The axels holding the gears would be locked at the connection to the coach and
pivot at the connection to the wheelset? This may work because any change in the
position of the wheelset from perpendicular to the track postion would encouter
resistance because the coaches either have to stay in a straight line or the ends
must move in the same direction.

You know...the pendular system is a wierd system. As Eric points out the
Metroliner he designed moves the center of gravity of the train inward so the
force of the turn translates to the track well. The pendular systme moves the
center of gravity out away from the track. Last time I watched side car motor
cycle racing (those crazy #%&@)$!s ) the guy on the side car wasn't swinging to
the outside of the curve! I can see why the Pendular system would be more
comfortable for the passenger, and since the center of gravity is lower than a
traditional coach the Pendular coach should corner better than a traditional
coach, but aside from lowering the center of gravity wouldn't the pendulum action
hamper turning speed?

Finding a solution will be difficult, but finding one that looks good is going to
be very difficult. Anyway, I was just talking about the dual wheelset shared
bogie trains. I did not know about the single wheelset trains.

Later,
Chris