 Trains / 903
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:06:07 GMT

Eric,

  If the pivot point on you model was moved to the top then you train would act
like a Talgo train. Instead of the top moving inward, the bottom would swing
out. The swing of the cars has to be translated to a bending of the joint
between the cars. But what I am thinking about will not allow the trains to go
through an "S" because the cars would not be able to pivot in different
directions....ah never mind I have no idea what I am talking about.

Chris

PS. Eric I love your site. Not only are the models and ideas great it is a very
well done web site. The search light effect...the spot lights...very nice!

Eric Brok wrote:

Actually, the Talgo trains do *not* pivot inward (like your model does, and
my version of the Metroliner [1] [2]), but the bottom sways outward like a
pendulum. This is an interesting alternative, demanding a very different
approach mechanically (the cabins hanging on pillars).
Also note, that this does not prevent the train from tipping over as well as
the former approach. It does alleve the side-forces on the passengers, but
as soon as the cabin sways behind a critical point, the train will tip over
fiercefully.

Eric Brok

[1] http://www.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/models select from menu: Trains,
Leaning in curves
[2] [1] was my first footnote to a news article :-)

Eric Brok
Visit LEGO ON MY MIND:
http://www.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind
Mindstorms/Mind Control section: