 Trains / 878
Re: strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:54:36 GMT

  Larry makes a great point! ("don't let the fact that someone
has already tried to build a model/car keep you from trying")

  I was inspired to build mine after standing about 10 feet
from a 9-segment spine car passed at very slow speed, with
2-high container stacks!

  But, I'm still not happy with the design. I like the twin-
axle trucks in the middle. (I can't think of a way to use a
single axle without adding springs that I don't have...) I also
need to improve the coupling between car beds and the trucks.
Over a relatively short time, the single part that couples
these two pieces fails from vibration. I can add some more
parts to firm it up, but I haven't done it yet. :-)

  So, I'll keep hacking on my designs. (I'm also toying with
a design using the smaller wheels instead of big wheels...)

  My advice: Try to build stuff, take pictures as you go, and
make the web page to show us the pictures! :-)

      -Z-     http://www.baylug.org