 Trains / 911
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:33:31 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Right the wheels are not on the same axel. At first I thought this was so the
wheels could travel at different speeds, but differentials are not brought up
elsewhere in trains (are they) so I figured that couldn't be the reason.

That is in fact the reason that they are separate. If they are on a
common axle, the outer wheel tends to want to climb up and rub the
flange against the inner side of the rail (remember, train wheels have a
tapered profile, the diameter on the outside is smaller than on the side
of the wheel closest to the flange... that profile is there to allow
them to corner better with less wheel slippage).

By being independent there is much less climbing.

Then I
though maybe it is so they can lower the coach; if part of the coach can sit
between the wheels then the coach does not have to be as high fo the ground. Now
I am wondering does this mean that the wheels turn independently like the front
wheels of a car, or does the entire wheel set pivot about a center vertical axis.

I don't think lowering is a big part of it. The wheels turn in the
vertical plane independently, they do not share a common pivot point.
They are not connected. The wheels are steered by the bars connecting
them to each coach. M. Rochow's suggestion on how to model the turning
effect using two horizontal gears seems like a great idea.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.