 Trains / 2676
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:17:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Steve Barile wrote:

Just a copuple weeks ago I took the train from Portland to Seattle. It s was
the Amtrak (Talgo) passenger train. It has only one axle between cars. I • tried
to find some pics but ran out of time here is a URL
http://www.talgo.com/prini.htm.
I plan to make one, I think this one calls for some fancy engineering and • some
rubber bands (of course LEGO brand).
SteveB

Some very fancy engineering...you are not kidding. The car has to swing like a
pendulum (or would LEGO shock absorbers have enough give to allow the the • bottom
of the car to swing out--maybe weights would help by adding a bit more inertia
for the bottom of the pendulum) hold the wheelset perpendicular to the track, • all
while allowing the cars to pivot about the wheelset.

Found this web page that looks promising for some "engineering-ish" drawings
and explanation of the Talgo car coupling and pendulum swaying.

http://www.trainweb.com/urpa/talgo/index.html

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Something I noticed while driving past the rail yard and while watching
"Extreme Machines" or was it "Trains Unlimited" is a trick that both
high-speed trains and freight trains use to reduce rolling resistance.
The trick is to cut down the rolling resistance by cutting down the
number of bogies/wheel sets. Instead of each car having two sets of
wheels, two cars are connected to one sets of wheels. I regularly see
flat bed cars that have wheels arranged like this.

x--x         x--x         x--x         x--x

instead of the standard

x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x  x-x     x-x

Anyone working on a reduced wheel set design? There are certainly some
interesting technical issues invovled. Anyway, just trying to spark more
discussion.

Chris