 Trains / 899
Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:08:44 GMT

What makes the Talgo train a challenging model is not only the common *single*
wheelset between cars, but that the cars pivot inward when rounding curves to
allow a higher speed and more comfortable ride for the passengers.  I've made
cars that will pivot inward with double wheelsets by translating the rotation
of the wheelset to pivot the car above inward.  But when you are working with a
single wheelset, it has to be locked to the chassis of the car and not allowed
to pivot.  If a single wheelset can pivot, it will quickly go askew and derail.

Rubber bands may be useful to keep the wheelsets from going too far askew, but
it will be a challenge.  I look forward to hearing of any solution anyone comes
up with.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Just a copuple weeks ago I took the train from Portland to Seattle. It s was
the Amtrak (Talgo) passenger train. It has only one axle between cars. I tried
to find some pics but ran out of time here is a URL
http://www.talgo.com/prini.htm.
I plan to make one, I think this one calls for some fancy engineering and some
rubber bands (of course LEGO brand).
SteveB

<snip>