 Trains / 28668
Re: 10183 LEGO Hobby Trains on ILTCO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:30:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh wrote:
ILTCO has received some images of the new 10183 LEGO Hobby Train.

http://www.iltco.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album47

If you are not familiar with the LEGO Hobby Train (aka UTB), you can read
some background information in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=28050&t=f&v=a

The first public announcement of the 10183 LEGO Hobby Train appears on Page
17 of Brick Journal #6.  Excerpted from Brick Journal:

1. The trains have been designed by 10 Hobby Train enthusiasts from around
the world
2. The box contains 1080 elements and the age mark is 16+
3. It is an advanced building set
4. 30 building instructions will be available for this set for 30 different
inspirational train models (one set of instructions will be printed and
included in the box and the 29 other instructions will be available online).
They can build an indefinite number of trains with the amount of bricks
available in the box
5. The retail price is 99.99 USD
6. The launch date is March 19, and you'll be able to get it at
www.LegoFactory.com!

Hopefully we will have more pictures soon.

Mike

Compared to the prices of LEGO Factory models, the price point for 10183 seems
reasonable to me.  The train parts on Factory are quite expensive, causing some
of my train creations to average close to 15 cents per brick (and complete
trains to cost well over $200).  No LEGO train set is cheap.  Fortunately, this
one has some excellent parts that lend themselves to a wide variety of models
and uses - the sliding doors, train doors, train windows, and wheels.  And one
gets 30 new ideas for train creations.  For the trainhead, this set is
excellent.  I'm certainly not complaining, and I admire the work of those who
designed this set.  I look forward to getting it.

-Jordan