 Trains / 28657
Re: 10183 LEGO Hobby Trains on ILTCO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:18:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gianluca Morelli wrote:
Too bad... for 100USD (100EUR here in the old world) it should have a motor...
with no motor this set gets too pricey.

$100 for 1080 pieces, or a little under 10 cents per piece, seems to be a pretty
typical price point.for sets.  Since the motors are going for $20 through
Factory, that would tack another $20 onto the price of the set...or require
dropping about 200 pieces to keep it in the $100 range.

Personally, I'm just as happy not to have the motor in the set, because that
means more pieces to build with.  (2 left and 2 right red train doors!  4
sliding box car doors!  Cool!)  Certainly, one isn't constrained to building
locomotives, and it would be easy enough to install a spare motor (9V or RC -
choose your poison) if one does want to build a locomotive.

(Heck, I'd be just as happy to swap the three train base plates for some more
ordinary plates though, 'cause those train base plates are kind of worthless to
us 8-widers, but I'm not complaining and I understand why they're in there.)