 Trains / 21582
Re: 1920 Electric
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:15:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Horst Lehner wrote:
Hello Larry,

You didn't get many postings in response to your pics on brickshelf yet, but
I have to say, I like these models.

Yes, I agree, the electric loco body looks a bit like version 0.x ;-). I
think most of that is due to the garden fence piece. Have you considered
using anything else instead? If so, what, and why do you think it was no
good? How about windows in a different color (yes, I know they don't exist
in tan ...). The door is nice (with the exception of the handle color ...).
Anyway, given some of the other models I have seen from you, I am pretty
sure we will soon see a refined version ...

Hmm... I actually LIKED the garden fence pieces as grids. one thing I would have
done if I had more time was to turn them sideways but I think they add a lot!!!
What I had there before was more of the gray grille/ribbed 1x2 bricks but they
were blah. The fence gives visibility and some change in recess. The recessed
ladder really doesn't work I don't think, though. It's too modern.

What I am most not happy about is the transition from rounded to square body in
front, I did not put a lot into that, I was going for a look that I didn't pull
off.

I think windows in the same color are prototypical for US practice... but I can
see changing them to add interest. White frames are easy enough to come by. or
else using the 1x2x3 train windows on the outside front instead of 1x2x2 town.

I like the 1830 steam engine a lot in its "simplicity", and couldn't think
of any improvements there. It is one of the best examples I have ever seen
for the concept that it is not the number of parts that makes a model good.

Thanks. the fixes I think that one needs are
- much more engineering on the pistons to get them to actually WORK.
- redoing the front/smokebox area a bit, the stack should probably be 2x2 and I
should use inverse slopes on the bottom leadin to it... but the steep slopes on
the top part are actually prototypical. (google for De Witt Clinton and you'll
see what I mean)